FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More "Stupid WiFi Tricks"
View Single Post
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:27 am
BNA_flyer

Originally Posted by DEVIS
I bet you don't allow camera phones either.
Sorry but the illusion of security is just that, an illusion. If someone wanted to get in your network they would fine a way.

Lots of companies out there see wireless as the boogie man and they try their hardest to block it and/or limit access. Well guess what... it isn't. i mean for pete's sake, all one needs to do to steal some important data nowadays would be to nab some VP's blackberry.
Depends on how diligent he/she is in securing it. The BBs I've used have been set so that if I leave it locked and requiring a password to use (assuming I've taken advantage of that feature and it's set to lock itself after X number of minutes), ten incorrect password entries results in the BB wiping itself. But to get back to the story...

You're correct about the illusion of security--I am on the security workgroup of a healthcare organization that shall not be named, and it's hard to get people there to understand that all the technical measures in the world won't help if the human factors aren't addressed. It would be simple for anyone to talk his way into our building (particularly if he were a recently termed employee and looked familiar), loiter around our cube farm until he picked up a list of high-level users of our system off someone's desk, and then make conversation until he picked up on how simple some of our standard initial passwords are. Eventually a determined person will talk his way into the system so that the system doesn't even notice.

I called a pharmacy yesterday on behalf of my wife, who needed to track down the name of an antibiotic she'd taken two months ago for a week, so she could tell her PCP. I called them up and mentioned that this was for my spouse and that I understood if they couldn't give the information over the phone, and they simply asked me: "Last name?" "(fairly uncommon last name)." "Oh, (firstname)?" "Yep, that's her." "OK, she had two prescriptions, they were (X) and (Y)." I could have been anyone.

Sorry to hijack the thread, my mind has been on this issue a lot lately...