FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Indian visa in expired passport
View Single Post
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:15 am
Yaatri
Suspended

Originally Posted by bobob
I have a valid tourist visa for India in my expired passport. The website for the Indian Consulate indicates I can travel with my new and old passport, and use the visa from the expired passport for entry into India. Has anyone done this and encountered any problems, or would I be better off getting the visa transferred to my new passport?

Although both the visa and passport are valid for 10 years, I will always be five years apart on the dates between the two. If I can get away with traveling with both passports, I would not have to transfer the visa to a new passport every five years.
Yes, it is entirely doable. I just did that in July 2007. Both, the expired passport with the visa and the new passport have to be from the same country and both have to be presented to the immigration officer.

The only two advantages of having your visa transferred to a new passport are, (i) You don;t have to carry two passports, (ii) If you lose your old passport, your visa is gone too.

You come across a third problem only when you run into a heavy handed screener when you walk through the security in a U.S. airport with two passports in your shirt pocket. Apparently, the assumption is that you have two passports so you must be up to no good. This is not a hearsay,it is based on my personal experience