FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are the Customer Service Problems at the Airlines mostly connected to low pay?
Old Aug 14, 2007, 7:14 am
Marathon Man
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by adams828
Sure pay can effect performance (their pay, as well as seeing those above them get those bonuses), as can cutting costs result in cuts in training.

But another thing to think about - YOU might be a courteous and well behaved traveller, but just think about how often you've seen someone else in an airport behaving rudely and irrationally. Now multiply that. Some passengers may act that way due to poor service, but odds are it's a result of the opposite...
when you (plr) see someone upset at the airport, ever wonder these things in your (plr) mind?

1) wow, what a loser/jerk

2) bummer, I had the same thing happen to me (but it's a good thing HE is having the problem today and not me! a haaaa!)

3) why doesnt someone in this lobby get up and do something about this?

4) I wont get up and concur with that person but someone else will.

5) call security, his loud outburst at the desk agent is bothering me. that only happens to other people, not me.

6) if more people DID try to help, this would maybe go away. But hey, maybe that person arguing with the airline employee IS irrational and so I would stay away.

Can anyone find anything wrong or right with any of these? I think unfortunately, many of us secretly admit to thinking this a lot, and we really should try to change it: "it's a good thing HE is having the problem today and not me! a haaaa!"