FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US or Australian Passport?
View Single Post
Old Aug 13, 2007, 3:10 am
polonius
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Rose2455
My husband and I are traveling from Australia to the US next year. He is an Australian citizen so carries an Australian passport. I have dual nationality and have both an Australian and a US passport. Should we both go through customs into the US with Australian passports or can we both line up at the US line if I go through on my US passport. I continue to dither as to whether I should go with the Australian passport so I can stand in line with my husband! I'd appreciate advice on this. If I use the US passport to go into the US can I use my Australian passport to come back into Australia. If I just use the US one I will need a Visa to return to Australia and I don't want to do that. If I just use the Australian one I will not need a visa to come home to Australia - but perhaps stand in a very long line for a very long time going into the US.

Dual nationals of just about every country are obligated to enter with that country's passport, i.e., if you have both US and Australian you MUST enter the US with your American passport and you MUST enter Australia with your Australian passport. As for your Australia-only husband being able to join you in the faster US citizen lane, I suppose that is up to their discretion, but I suspect they will not have a problem with it; in fact, when he enters and explains he is travelling with an American spouse I suspect they will insist on interviewing both of you together.