FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No seats ORD-LGA?
View Single Post
Old Aug 12, 2007, 11:28 am
bryenz

Programs: AA CK/EXP, Hilton Diamond, FAA Private
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
My wife and I were on the same flight, and felt we were lucky to get out of LGA. Friends on some of the later flights got cancelled because of the gridlock. A minor problem was that the airplane continued to inch toward the takeoff position for 90 minutes, and because we were in motion, the FA said that she could not serve us drinks while on the ground. (And we really needed them).

I never had seen so many planes lined up at LGA. The line of AC waiting to take off extended from AA's G wing up to the end of the runway at the point where the Delta Jungle Jets board, and then back along the other side of the runway to the other end.

One of the issues that not contribute to these delays was that 15 years ago, one of the most common planes seen at LGA were the L-1011s of DL and TW, and widebodies of other airlines. Widebodies are a rarity now at LGA, and I wonder when they will start to make a comeback on these routes because of the congestion.
You guys must have been in F. From my row 10 seat, a bunch of people got up to use the lav, get stuff from the bins, etc., and the FAs didn't say anything at all.

I wondered about the widebody thing. It's only been recently that I've been going to LGA and didn't know how effective those were. Some of the more chatty captains talk about noise abatement on departure, I wonder if the neighbors around there would complain about heavies taking off and landing over Queens...

Something has to be done with the whole airspace in that area, anyhow. Three big airline airports and any number of GA ones (plus HPN, etc.) means way too many planes coming and going at any given time. As a GA pilot, I don't think I'd have too much fun flying around that area.