FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Earning Frequent Flyer miles/points in Israel
Old Aug 12, 2007, 4:50 am
norbs286

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Recently I converted a bunch of Israeli Isracard Mastercard points to LY Matmid points I had my wife call and check if she could convert her Visa CAL points to LY Matmid points in my account. First of all they said she could only convert to her account. For us that is useless since she flies on bonus tickets from my points so they'd be orphaned. Then they said that if she were to link her account she'd get 1 Matmid point for every NIS 1500 in charges. While I'm not sure how many NIS I spend to earn one Isracard Mastercard point I know that with my Israeli AMEX I earn 1 point for every NIS 5 after the first NIS 200 and I can then convert them to LY Matmid points at a rate of 280 points to 1 Matmid point. That comes out to NIS 1400 per LY Matmid point! Again, very high. So does anyone have the skinny down on which cards are best for earning LY Matmid points? Below is the information I can contribute:

*** As of June 15, 2006 - Official information from LY Matmid ****

*** POST EDITED TO INCLUDE KNOWLEDGE ADDED BY OTHERS ***

-- Mastercard/Isracard --

Isracard Corporate Mastercard (Gold)
200 NIS for 1 card point after first 200
7 card points for 1 LY Matmid point
Effectively 1 LY Matmid point for NIS 1400 charges

Leumi Platinum Mastercard
25 NIS for 1 point
28 poinst for 1 Matmid point
Effectively 1 LY Matmid point for every NIS 700 charges

-- AMEX --

Isracard's Gold AMEX
50 NIS for 1 card point (after the first NIS 200)
28 card points for 1 LY Matmid point
Effectively 1 LY Matmid point for NIS 1400 charges

Isracard's Platinum AMEX
50 NIS for 1 card point
8 card points for 1 LY Matmid point
Effectively 1 LY Matmid point for NIS 400 charges

-- VISA --

Visa CAL linked to LY Matmid
1500 NIS for 1 card point

Visa Cal Platinum
NIS 700 = 1 Matmid Point

Leumi Platinum Visa
25 NIS for 1 point
28 poinst for 1 Matmid point
Effectively 1 LY Matmid point for every NIS 700 charges

-- DINERS ---

Diners Platinum
NIS 395 = 1 Matmid Point

GLOBES Platinum Diners cards,
NIS 333 = 1 Matmid point.
I did a 'research' regarding conversions and found that:

Multi-Platinum (VISA\MC) have the best rate of conversion which is 1 Matmid point = 350 NIS (Card will be given based upon a similar card granted to you by your bank and will cost 8.88 NIS a month)
AMEX platinum will have the same rate, however, it is by invitation only (or one should be very rich and it will cost 320$ a year
Also Diners platinum will give you the same rate, however, it is not cheap as well (I don't know the exact price of holding that card)

In Any case, one should not convert points on a regular basis, but wait until ELAL does the "Mivtsa" of adding 20% to the converted points once a year