FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cost Effective Options for Travel in Africa
Old Aug 9, 2007, 5:06 am
Club_IC

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by lopez151
Can I recommend though that you look into redeeming miles on KQ for your intra-africa flights? KQ takes NW/KL/AF miles, maybe even the other skyteam members too, and their intra-africa award is cheap at 25k roundtrip, with one free stopover. open jaws are allowed. I used two awards in recent years: LOS-NBO stopover NBO-CPT stopover JNB-NBO-LOS and then LOS-NBO-JNB vacation JNB-NBO-LOS. Considering that the tickets i used miles for could have easily cost $1500 or more, 25k miles is a great value.
I will certainly look at redeeming miles on KQ for intra-africa flights going forward.

However, on this occasion I am travelling for work and can claim travel expenses. Therefore there is no incentive for me to use my miles for this purpose. However, business class upgrades within Africa might be something else, as long the tickets I use allow such upgrades.

I am still interested in hearing experiences of pros and cons of using the Star Alliance Africa Pass, classes of the coupons and whether I will get 100% miles with bmi. Thanks for your feedback.