FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cost Effective Options for Travel in Africa
Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:26 am
Club_IC

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
Cost Effective Options for Travel in Africa

My next trip to Africa will be in December, and will include Botswana, Lesotho, Kenya, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania and Uganda over three weeks.

Suggestions for doing this most cost effectively are very welcome;-)

Has anyone used the Star Alliance Africa Pass, which uses SAA? Obviously this is only available if you fly Star Alliance to Africa. Flying SAA from Europe to SA is very expensive compared to LH.

I have previously used Kenya Airways for travel between Jo'burg, Nairobi and Dar Es Salaam, which is good for earning miles with Sky Team. But I cannot find a similar pass with Sky Team. Am I missing something?

If anyone has used the Star Alliance Africa Pass, in what class were the coupons issued? I do not want to change my travel plans and then discover I got less than 100% miles. Some of the SAA classes (T, V, L, W, G) will only earn 50% miles with bmi, and if I use Star Alliance for this trip, I want to maximise miles towards retaining gold status.

On some of the longer legs, I am also interested in more comfort. Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade one or legs of the Africa Pass?

Thanks for your feedback.