FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Barra, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]
Old Aug 6, 2007, 11:58 am
dcpaul

Programs: UA Premier, AA, DL, HA, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver
Don't say ABRIGADO to the Sheraton Barra!

I am a BIG fan of Starwood. In fact, I pretty much go out of my way to book Starwood properties. I've even planned a vacation around visiting a specific *wood property.

That being said, I must say, you do not want to stay at this property. It is just terrible! Here are the answers to your questions:

1. What is the hotel itself like, is it worthy of it's #1 status on Tripadvisor?

It's probably a #1 because there are no other properties in Barra. Ok, there are a few, but this #1 is only being compared to Barra properties because is not in Rio.

2. Are the restaurants/bars expensive?

I find hotel restaurants/bars to be expensive in general. The Barra is no different than other properties in Barra or Rio for that matter.

3. I'm keen on seeing Rio itself, though would prefer not to use taxis where possible, is there a reliable bus service near the hotel to Ipanema/Cocabanana?

Barra is far. I cannot stress that enough. I spent one night here (and granted the room was nice but, I really don't like rooms with kitchens). You will def need to take taxis. Rio is not really safe and I didn't find the bus service near the property reliable at all. The Sheration Rio is no better choice by the way. I ended up staying at the JW Marriott on Copacabana.

4. Approx what is the cost of a taxi from the Sheraton Barra to Cocabanana?

If I remember correctly, it was about 40 Reals, so about $20!

5. Would I be better off in the Intercontinental Rio as I can obtain at a similar rate (although for a lesser room)?

I would not stay here. Honestly, the distance, the service, and the not so nice Barra area is not worth it. The rooms do have a balcony which is nice, but not worth the trouble. Spend the extra cash you'd pay on taxis on a closer property.