FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Barra, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]
Old Aug 5, 2007, 8:27 am
rserson

Programs: SPG Platinum, LH Senator, UA Premier Executive, RG Diamante
Originally Posted by heggers03
I have found an attractive rate for a five night stay in the Sheraton Barra Hotel Rio de Janeiro in Dec but I have a few questions on it (even after reading a number of older threads on here)

1. What is the hotel itself like, is it worthy of it's #1 status on Tripadvisor?
2. Are the restaurants/bars expensive?
3. I'm keen on seeing Rio itself, though would prefer not to use taxis where possible, is there a reliable bus service near the hotel to Ipanema/Cocabanana?
4. Approx what is the cost of a taxi from the Sheraton Barra to Cocabanana?
5. Would I be better off in the Intercontinental Rio as I can obtain at a similar rate (although for a lesser room)?
1. Very nice and new hotel
2. Yes, the the food is not that good ...
3. If you want to sightsee Rio, stay more closer to the attractions. Barra is a wonderful place and nice beach (some people compare to Miami), but a bit far from where you'd like to visit. As a tourist, forget public buses in Rio. Take the (unexpensive) yellow cabs.
4. R$30 (aprox US$15)
5. Yes, but not too much (time) advantange.

Unfortunately, the Sheraton Rio is not in a good shape. It is 5 min from Leblon and 10/15 min from Copacabana with an excellent view.

In Leblon (just beside Ipanema), try the Marina(s). There are two just in front of the beach and, depending on the date, you get lucky with the rate. In Ipanema, besides the Caesar Park (5* and very expensive), your (excellent) options are some Flats or Residences along the "Rua Prudente de Moraes". Try to google that and you will find some options just 1 block from the beach and walking distance from may interesting places.