FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Tokyo, Japan 2007 onward [Master Thread]
Old Aug 4, 2007, 11:05 pm
websterlewis

Programs: Starwood Plat, CX Gold
Originally Posted by guybaxy
I am booked in at the Westin Tokyo for my free Friday/Saturday on the Asia/Pacific promotion. Is is better to book in at another Tokyo property, given we are staying Friday/Sat night, sounds like this property is far from the action?
Originally Posted by jimmychang
There is no better Starwood to book in Tokyo. If Roppongi is where the action you refer to, you can take the subway to get there for only 2-3 stops away. As a Platinum, you will have all the Executive floor benefit. They do have very few suites though. I only got 1 out of 5 stays. But it's a great property in a gracious area.
I'm with Jimmychang on this. It is a complete myth to say that the Westin Tokyo is far from the action (sorry - it is one that I often hear on flyertalk).

Ebisu is one of the nicest, convenient and most sought after neighbourhoods in Tokyo. It has a huge choice of dining options a few minutes walk from the hotel It is one stop away from Shibuya (or around $10 to $12 in a taxi), it is easy train journey to Roppongi (or around $15 to $18 in a cab).

Taxi drivers may speak only Japanese and many have dreadful direction skills, but they will understand major place names - occasionally you will have to state Yebisu Garden no Westin Hotel (Yee bee suu Gaar-den no Ue-ston hotel) on the way back but hopefully that will be as bad as it gets!

All the other Starwoods are of notable poor quality and in far less convenient locations. Where as here the rooms are 42 sqm in size, in excellent condition, Westin beds, helpful staff, dull executive lounge (but you can take (a great buffet) breakfast downstairs - which I would 100% recommend).

Very little chance of a suite upgrade - they have very few - it does occasionally happen but most are either paid for or given as part of a deal with companies that hold events at the hotel.

Tokyo hotels and the Westin especially can become completely full or very expensive at weekends with Weddings (unless the date is unlucky) and young couples - so particularly good value to use the two free nights on a weekend there rather than anywhere else in Asia.

Last edited by websterlewis; Aug 5, 2007 at 12:14 am