FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using a US car seat overseas
View Single Post
Old Aug 2, 2007, 3:10 pm
themicah

I already got a response! I wish US government agencies gave a clear and timely answer to questions like this:

Thanks for this but child seats/boosters used in the UK must comply with the type-approval standard required by our regulations.

That standard is UN ECE Regulation 44.03 (or later versions eh 44.04). If your US infant seat complies, the label will have an "E" (in a circle) and R44.03 and the weight range of child (in kilograms) for which it is designed. The US standard is not the same as the R44.03 standard.

It may be that your infant seat does comply - you may need to check with the manufacturer.

If it does not, then you will need to arrange to use one while you are here. Hire car operators can provide them provided you give them adequate notice. Some make a charge. It may be sensible/economic if you arrange with friends to borrow or buy one for your visit. Boosters in particular can be purchased relatively cheaply (compared to some of the hire car company charges that we have seen in the past - things may be different now). If a child seat/booster is to be borrowed/purchased, then it will be needed as soon as you use a car in the UK (eg from the airport if you are met by a friend).

Our rules are set out on-line at http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/ca...ldcarseats.htm . Scroll down to Frequently Asked Question 4 which explains the weight ranges of child seats/boosters (you must have one for the weight of your child) and the UN ECE R44.03 type-approval standard.

Hope this is helpful.

Tim XXXXX
Road User Safety Division
Dept for Transport
LONDON SW1P 4DR
020 7944 XXXX
2/8/07
I checked our Snugride and don't see anything on it indicating compliance with UN or UK regulations. Now the question is whether this is really an issue (will the rental car company try to enforce it?) or whether I should not worry about it and just trust that the seat is as safe for themicah jr. in the UK as it is in the US. Seems silly that Graco wouldn't just make it comply with international standards, but maybe the standards are different enough to actually be incompatible?