FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OT: Marbella - Upmarket or chav-o-rama?
View Single Post
Old Aug 1, 2007, 1:44 am
PUCCI GALORE
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
No - not chavy. Just people with lots of money (or credit) and no education or who have come to eek out their retirement and who have no education in most cases. The South of Spain has got some of the most dreadful expats I have ever met. They live in Spain. A country with a past and a history and a culture second to none. Most of these people are pushed to manage "Gracias" or "Por Favor". They cannot follow a TV newscast or read a local newspaper about the country in which they live nor in most cases conduct a simple conversation with local people.

This does not impinge upon their daily lives until things go wrong. They fall ill, they have accidents, or need to deal with the police. Depending on them speaking the language is not substitute to dealing with matters oneself. This is not restricted to Spain of course.

Marbella is completely phony and has all the Spanish elan of a Bg Mac. You may discern that I was entirely unimpressed. I would far rather go to Valencia which is a lovely city, or indeed to Alicante which is still Spanish with Benidorm and Clape well away.

Last edited by PUCCI GALORE; Aug 1, 2007 at 1:50 am