FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - W Retreat & Spa Maldives
View Single Post
Old Jul 27, 2007, 1:28 pm
xracer

Originally Posted by jackh5
I got a rate at the W maldives for 895 / night (pre tax) for a beach oasis room (which i want to stay at).

I was looking at the one and only reethi rah and was quoted $925 / night (pre tax) for a beach villa with pool.

Doing a side by side comparison:
Total Room size W: 2023SQ Feet
Total Room Size O&O: 1776SQ Feet

Pool Size W: 142SQ Feet
Pool Size O&O: Unknown

Newer Hotel: W
Winner of 2007 Conde Naste Desing Award: W

The second floor of the W hotel is very enticing. There are two daybeds in the W and a hammock in every retreat.

The W also has a dance club and i have read has a better spa.

Please give me your thoughts on my comparison.
Break down of beach pool villa at Reethi Rah:

Pool = 69sft
Interior of the room= 850sft
Shaded exterior space = 280sft
Pool Deck = 646 sft

I can pretty safely assure you that the interior of the beach villa at the W is not 2000+ sft. You are being given combined indoor/outdoor space.

Something else to keep in mind is that the W is on a very small island and the villas are very tightly packed together. Privacy will be an issue if the place is reasonably full. RR is on a HUGE island and the villas are all very private.

OTOH, the island that the W is on is surrounded by one of the nicest reefs of any resort in the Maldives. RR does not have much of a reef at all.

I've been to RR (and the two FS properties), but not the W. I think it's a safe bet that the service at the W will NOT be better than the service at either RR or either of the FS properties (where it was beyond wonderful). And if you are looking for the biggest pool/biggest room/nicest outdoor area, the FS LG beach villa wins hands down.