FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It?" Thread [Merged]
Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:12 pm
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
For the most part, I agree with the other posters re my satisfaction with being a 1K.

The one respect in which I differ is that, as also an EXP on AA, the reservations and related customer services as an EXP are much better. The AA CSRs are generally much more knowledgeable, as well as more empowered to make adjustments where necessary. (For instance, they'll go the extra mile, so to speak, to find award ticket availability--with UA CSRs you sometimes have to point out the various options for getting from A to B.) With UA, it's more hit and miss whether you get a great or lousy CSR. I've seen some speculation that the difference in this regard is that UA has an entire formal tier of higher level customers, the GS members. But I think the difference comes down to training as well as the AA system allowing its CSRs personnel more flexibility.

There are of course disadvantages to being AA EXP as opposed to UA 1K. At some point I'll post a comparision (to add to those already at FT).