FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I forget a knife in my bag, TSA forgets to find it (thankfully, no terminal dump!)
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:58 am
exerda
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I forget a knife in my bag, TSA forgets to find it (thankfully, no terminal dump!)

I drove down to FL with my wife to visit her family for a few days. I then flew home to go back to the office, as I had a lot I needed to get done and couldn't visit as long as she wanted to.

I was looking for her car keys this morning in my laptop bag, since my car is still with her. What do I find? A folding knife (larger than a pocket knife, mind you)!

Oops.

I usually double-check my laptop bag prior to flying to make sure there aren't any items like knives or liquids/gels in its pockets--something I do specifically for that particular knife, which I often have when not traveling by air in case I'd need it for things like cutting the seat belt after a car accident, etc. But the past couple of trips I've taken have been on very little sleep, and apparently I missed the knife in the sleepy rush to the airport.

The scary thing is, so did the TSA. Three times. (As I'd recently flown a roundtrip without unpacking prior to this trip).

Now, tell me again how effective the TSA is going to be at catching weapons, bomb components, etc. at the checkpoint?

At least I didn't turn myself in to the TSA and cause a terminal dump. And, apparently, that magic rock still works, because the knife did not cause any plane hijackings or crashes, either.