FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Ultimate Baggage Lost / Delayed / Stolen / Damaged Thread
Old Jul 18, 2007, 2:39 pm
cobberjoe

reimbursement: replacement of lost item vs. reimbursement for original item

I'll try to keep this short. We flew:

US: MSP-PHL
LH: PHL-FRA, FRA-MLA in June.

We checked two bags and an infant car seat, and none arrived with us in MLA. After filing a claim and received toiletry packs, but no cash, we replaced our sunscreen and diapers immediately. The next day, our two bags arrived, but not the car seat. After three days, we gave up on the car seat, and we replaced it.

Now we have returned home, and the original car seat has not been found. I sent a letter to LH with copies of the receipts for the items we replaced, and today I received the following reply:
Dear cobberjoe,

Thank you for your faxes received on July 12, 2007 with copies of your expenses.

Much to our regret, all efforts to locate your missing infant car seat have, thus far, proven unsuccessful and we are prepared to reimburse you for your loss in accordance with Montreal Convention guidelines (a treaty ratified by the United States in September, 2003). Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Kindly mail to my attention the original purchase receipt for the missing car seat, not the replacement, and of course I will reimburse your sunscreen and diapers. Once received, you will be contacted without further delay.

The search for your car seat will continue and if it is located, the nearest Lufthansa airport office will call you immediately to arrange delivery to your residence.

Your continued patience and cooperation are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
xxxxx xxxxxxx
Customer Relations North America
Why would they reimburse the small purchases, which arrived late, but not the car seat, which had not arrived at all. We purchased the original car seat several months ago, and I am not sure I have the receipt.

What are my options? I guess I hope to be reimbursed for the new car seat ($150). I don't really care if they reimburse me for the old one, because in the end, I have one car seat. At the PX on the Navy Base where the new car seat was purchased, there was very little choice.

Thanks for any help you can give.