FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gold Early Renewal - How to avoid waste?
View Single Post
Old Jul 18, 2007, 7:37 am
G-man82

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Hilton Honors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by traveler18
I called Marco Polo and asked to renew Gold early but they say it cannot be done on the same tier (Gold) only for Diamond. Supervisor confirmed.

One suggestion (by a MP agent) was that I remove my MP number from the record, save the boarding passes and call them in September. The disadvantages are that I cannot monitor the record online, and perhaps miss an upgrade opportunity as their system will not know I am gold. I am travelling on a Business ticket - so lounge access is not an issue.

Any suggestions?
I'm in the same situation as of today. I just renewed my gold tier status, and my membership year doesn't end until sept 31st. The problem is that I will definitely not be flying 60K miles between now and Sept 31st to get to Diamond, but I will be flying about 10K miles on AA domestic flights in Aug and possibly 16K jfk-hkg in september. Has anyone tried that trick about removing the mpo number from the boarding pass prior to boarding? Because I am tempted to claim missing miles after Sept 31st b/c it will greatly help for re-qualifying gold, and actually might put diamond within reach for me for next year. But I'm unsure about just how "dirty" a trick it is and whether or not to risk it with CX. I don't think they can monitor the AA flight very closely, but the CX one, I'm not so sure about. Any opinions?