FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airport lines for security even longer (The Christian Science Monitor)
Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:50 pm
DCA TSO

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
That's pretty bad if you have to work a "split shift" in order to get an 8 hour day in (full time). Between the pay and work conditions - esp if you have to split shift - it isn't a big surprise many are looking for work elsewhere.

The end result is high turnover and it stops people from staying that would otherwise be assets as they learn and develop over time.

I'd be willing to bet it is probably cheaper to pay a better wage and give TSAers proper 8 hr shifts. I'm no fan of the TSA, but if security is going to be professional in any way, shape or form, employees need to be retained. Training and hiring new employees costs a lot of money.

I would expect "professional security" to earn more than what TSAers currently make and to have better working conditions.

How often does the TSA give raises? How much are the raises? It needs to be not only a decent living wage, but enough to retain "professional" employees. The hourly rate may be much better than pre-TSA, but the pay rate is much lower what a "professional" should earn. The turnover rate in a "professional" enviornment should be low.

In closing, it would be interesting to see what the TSA is spending on training and hiring new employees.
I consider myself a good and experienced screener. And in spite of all my awards for excellence and my years on the job, I make under $30k/yr. base salary.

Last edited by DCA TSO; Jul 17, 2007 at 12:12 am