FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - When the Airline You Love Walks Away - DL Leaving BGM
Old Jul 14, 2007, 4:32 pm
Lehava
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
I don't believe there was direct subsidies but Delta was sought by BGM not the other way around. There was work done at the airport to lure them and I am sure there was other promises and deals.

A day into all this, you could say I am moving through my stages of grieving, I am now just sad, but you know what, I can't blame Delta for any of this. I am sad because this community, that used to be so great (we are the origination of IBM, Flight Simulators, Endicott Johnson Shoe, Universal Instruments and so much more) is in a death spiral. Truth, I dont think we will see BGM here another 10 years, and that saddens me beyond words.

I am also heartbroken for the 17 employees who will lose their jobs (I dont see them taking the offer to move to other markets as they all have families here). We have the BEST staff in the country (ok I'm bias) and to know they will all be jobless breaks my heart. Some of them are older and there is not going to be much for them job wise here.

But with that said, how can I blame Delta for pulling out when I am considering doing the same with my business? This community financially has nothing to offer businesses that want to be here.

I agree and disagree with Mikey, part of me says he is right about not being loyal to any airline, but not having status is not a choice. Forget upgrades for a minute *gasp* having to deal with baseline CSR phone lines is not something I can deal with, I spend too much time travelling for that BS (heck at NW that gets you told "we're too busy to talk, call later" and hung on).

But you know what, all airlines are NOT the same. Delta does have a heart and soul, and if I doubted that the email I just received from my "friends" there in Atlanta in response to my email yesterday to them reminded me of that. When an executive goes out of his way to communicate with a single medallion in a market that Delta now how no vested interest in and goes out of his way to try to help with solutions, it is more than your average airline!!!!!!!

Like I said, if I need to get status on NW to travel I will do that, but my heart will always be with Delta!!!!!