FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bangkok, First Time, For a Day: Pen or MO?
Old Jul 9, 2007, 1:46 pm
MegatopLover

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by francophile
Room: Did you reserve the baclony room for your parents at the Pen That's the best non-suite room. Otherwise, all the other non-suite rooms are the same, just on different floors (with prices rising according to the floor number).
I can't really compare the two properties, because I stayed at the Pen on my first trip to Bangkok six years ago and have never stayed anywhere else. I'm just back from something like my 15th stay, and the hotel exceeded its own exceptionally strong track record, keeping it firmly my and Mr. Megatop's Favorite Hotel in the World.

I will respectfully disagree with francophile's statement above, though. There are some subtle differences in the non-suite/non-balcony rooms. Some time ago I gave a detailed description of the hotel's layout and my own analysis of which rooms are better than others. I think some folks may have offered their own comments too. The post I'm thinking of was in this forum, so a search for my handle and Peninsula Bangkok will bring it up (along with probably 100 other posts of mine).

Although I'm thoroughly in love with PBK and it very much feels like home to me, one reason I've never stayed at The O is that Mr. Megatop and I were treated rather shabbily (to put it mildly) by the staff there once, six years ago. I vowed never to set foot in the place, and that's a vow I've kept.