FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Overly personal talk from flight attendants
Old Jul 9, 2007, 6:29 am
aeneastwin

I Hear You!

Originally Posted by DuckSoupforMe
OK, this will probably make me sound like my father (if he were gay), but am I the only person who finds it uncomfortable when a male flight attendant starts to ask where I went out while at my destination, or if the guys there were cute, etc?

This most recently happened on a return flight from YQB to EWR on a small Embraer. The FA kept asking why I would want to go to a non-party place like Quebec City when Montreal was so much more fun. He asked my partner and me about what we did, if we found a good gym there, a good bar, and on and on. It seems to happen with regularity, whether FC or in coach.

I don't mind brief mindless chatter with FAs, but sometimes they go too far. When we mentioned to this last one that we have been together for 16 years, he rolled his eyes and said "Whatever".
You are describing the "we are both gay so that makes us best of friends" syndrome. I have also experienced that sort of situation at work where a gay guy will make comments to me that he would never dream of making to a straight person. Probably the best thing to do is to be distant.

I thought the FA's "whatever" remark was a cheap shot. I suspect that the FA had a crush on the FT poster and was looking for some sort of opening (no pun intended).

As I have said elsewhere, I love flamboyantly gay FAs. However, at the risk of sounding like my mother, everyone should be well mannered!