FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Overly personal talk from flight attendants
Old Jul 8, 2007, 8:05 am
atlantacane75

Programs: DL Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DuckSoupforMe
I didn't mean to suggest that this always happens to me. I've had plenty of FAs on my flights who were perfectly professional and appropriate. I have, however, noticed the phenomenon described with some regularity.

I also think it speaks to a certain accepted, habitual immaturity in our community. The banter I've described is often flirtatious in nature. I can't imagine that a straight male FA would feel comfortable flirting with a woman sitting with her husband (but I certainly could be wrong).
I also am confused by the focus on gay nightlife in these encounters. My partner and I travel to see museums, eat regional food, experience other cultures, and of course to rack up miles.
I agree 100% with your post. When my partner and I travel, our focus is on the exact same things you mention. I don't think I have ever gone to a gay bar or stayed at a gay resort while on a vacation trip. However, we have friends that have probably been to every gay bar on this earth, regardless of the continent. We really don't enjoy that scene, so we avoid it and focus on things we do enjoy, like the cultural sites and restaurants. Whatever makes people happy, I guess.

And, yes, I have had similar experiences with airline personnel making .....y comments like the one you experienced. There is an automatic assumption when someone is gay that we all enjoy the same things and live our lives the same way. If I had a nickel for every cynical gay guy I have met in my life that believes relationships and monogamy are a waste of time, I wouldn't be here right now. I'd be on Bora Bora forever on the beach, sipping cocktails and reading a book!