FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Overly personal talk from flight attendants
Old Jul 8, 2007, 12:34 am
anabolism

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by DuckSoupforMe
OK, this will probably make me sound like my father (if he were gay), but am I the only person who finds it uncomfortable when a male flight attendant starts to ask where I went out while at my destination, or if the guys there were cute, etc?

This most recently happened on a return flight from YQB to EWR on a small Embraer. The FA kept asking why I would want to go to a non-party place like Quebec City when Montreal was so much more fun. He asked my partner and me about what we did, if we found a good gym there, a good bar, and on and on. It seems to happen with regularity, whether FC or in coach.

I don't mind brief mindless chatter with FAs, but sometimes they go too far. When we mentioned to this last one that we have been together for 16 years, he rolled his eyes and said "Whatever".
I've never had anything like that happen. I've had lots of conversations with FAs on different airlines when flying alone or with my partner, and sometimes they asked where I stayed (and sometimes when I mentioned a gay resort it turned out they had been there as well) and what we did, but never in a rude way. I've never had a FA offer anything other than congratulations on learning that my partner and I have been together for 16 years.

I think you've just had extremely poor luck in FAs. I'm sorry to hear it. Hopefully you'll have much more enjoyable flights in the future.

Personally, I prefer more interesting conversations than mindless small talk, but I can understand some people being more private.