FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premium Economy mini-Reviews
View Single Post
Old Jul 6, 2007, 5:40 am
teamspeedy

ROUTE/PLANE: SFO-AKL 777 NZ7
Day/Night - Night into day
Seat no: 23c Asile,
Checkin: Empty due to the problem of the in bound flight having to turn around and head back to AKL so we were delalyed (scheduled departure was 9:15pm we left at 2:45am) i checked in at 9:15 and had to be re booked on a later flight from AKL to SYD due to the delay out of SFO , but it was a much better experience than in Sydney, i also received a food voucher to use at SFO,the problem was only 1 restaurant was open that accepted the voucher and it closed at 11pm (the airport bar was closed)

Seat Comfort: Ok not great, seats were noticeably narrower than the 747 and i'm not a fat person but the legroom was great (unlimited due to being in the door way)

Ease of getting in and out: easy aisle and the doorway seat

Food:

Dinner

STARTER
Cress and frisee salad with duck prosciutto, tangerine, toasted hazelnuts and whit truffle honey vinaigrette

MAIN COURSE

New Zealand lamb cutlet and lamb bolognese with green garlic risotto, garlic roasted tomato and artichoke

Seared cod with Dungeness crab chowder and parmesan, thyme and parsley croutons

Wood roasted chicken breast with olive oil whipped potatoes, baby broccoli and lemon cipollini onion confit

i had the chicken ,wasn't to bad but the Chardonnay wasn't as good as the bottle out of AKL (to LAX) , on a side note: not many people had dinner, an announcement was made at the start of the flight " if want to goto sleep but want dinner put your tray table down"

DESSERT
can't remember

CHEESE

A selection of fine New Zealand cheese

BEVERAGES

Freshly brewed or decaffeinated Gravity coffee, tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate

SNACKS

Help yourself from our wide range of snacks, available for you to enjoy during your flight

Breakfast

BEVERAGES

Start your day with a fruit smoothie, your choice of juice, freshly brewed or decaffeinated Gravity coffee, tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate

CONTINENTAL SELECTION

Fruit selection with assorted cereals and yoghurts

Croissants, friands, white and wholemeal toast with fruit conserve

HOT OPTIONS

Smoked chicken pesto and parmesan omelette with breakfast potatoes and chicken sausage

(again didn't have the hot stuff, but everything else was good)

Drink:
Tea Coffee was offered after dinner and breakfast, chardonnay wasn't that good, and the 42 below cocktails weren't offered

FA attentiveness
ok not great, no were near as good as what i had expected (especially compared to previous flights). The service manager came around a personally apologized for the delay and explained why there was a delay which i thought was nice touch

AVOD: Great as Usual, watched a few movies & tv shows in between a few hrs sleep

Would you do it again? on this experience alone no,the flight was delayed ( i know but it all contributed to a bad experience ) the service from the FAs was ok not great, there was screaming babies back in economy,the seat was narrower and had no power port, in short it felt like having an exit row seat back in economy and wasn't worth the extra money.

The 747 experience on the other hand is well worth the money if your on the upper deck as you're away from the masses the seat is wider (so it quieter) the service seemed better.

So would i do it again, but only on the upper deck of the 747 and if the layovers between the Sydney and Auckland flights are less (i had really bad layover experiences with this trip around America) then hell yes, otherwise it would be really hard to get me to say yes again