FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sister could not sit next to her 4 year old
Old Jul 5, 2007, 9:14 am
kuroneko

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
Maybe, but airlines are pretty good at predicting loads. So, you don't book a flight because you don't get the seat you want - but afterwards, there is space for a couple that cares about sitting together, which would have otherwise booked somewhere else.

And probably, there are less solo travellers that would not fly if they cannot get their preferred window or aisle seat than couples that would not fly when they can't sit together.

SmilingBoy.
These are suppositions. On the other hand, if an airline were to actually implement your proposal, it creates a very real negative scenario for both pax and airline.

If you really think about what you said, the logical conclusion would simply be to let market forces work this out - which is exactly what is happening now without additional policies and regulations burdening the system.

BTW, I view my seating preference largely due to the fact that I *am* a solo traveler on these flights. I need the aisle because when I need to get out, I am concerned about disturbing the person next to me. I am not tall enough to get step over their legs like some people can, so the person has to either move, or I bump them when attempting to step over. When I am traveling with someone, I don't care as much about window or aisle in adjacent seats, because it doesn't bother me to bug the person next to me, whom I know.

I also don't think it's such a critical matter for a couple to be able to sit together. I mean, realistically speaking, can't two adults sit apart for a couple of hours? And if they can't, OP aside, in all my frequent flying, I have never witnessed a situation where a reasonable seat swap was refused - more than likely, most people are glad to accomodate a couple or parent/child situation. I, as a single traveler, however, have no reason to request a seat swap from a window to an aisle - so my choices are far more limited - I either book the seat I want/need, or I will likely not get it. Yet you propose to limit me even further.