FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BOS-JFK-AMS-MUC: Comair, Full-scale SSSS-Check and KLM's 777 (+26 pics)
Old Jun 30, 2007, 1:53 pm
PlaneHunter

Originally Posted by Arnur
Sorry to hear about the confusion, but code-shares have been around for quite some while and your itinerary would have shown that you were flying not with KL (which obviously does not operate domestic flights in the USA), but on a different carrier. It also usually shows from which terminal you are leaving.
I'm fully aware of code-sharing and knew well that DL would operate the flight. But there was no piece of information about the terminal on the itinerary and therefore I went to the international terminal where large combined KLM/NWA signs were around, assuming anyone there would be able to check me in on a flight showing a KLM flightnumber.

Actually, KLM does allow you to reserve specific seats on their longhaul services. I agree the NWA online feature is nicer, but either contacting your travel agent or making a phone call to the KLM service center would have allowed you to pre-select seats. In addition, when you check-in online with KLM/NWA (which you could have done even with a connecting flight from BOS), you can also chose your seat.
I had no opportunity for checking in online at BOS, but I will call KLM service next time.

I doubt that check-in agents have any influence on the SSSS-list. As the TSA agent told you, the selection is made on a number of criteria such as strange routings, one-way tickets etc. Requesting a seat change is not very likely to feature on that list. Having been selected for SSSS myself a few times, I agree that it can be intimidating procedure (particularly for non-Americans).
Is it automatically generated in any case? Unfortunately I didn't carefully inspect my first boarding pass issued at BOS , so I don't know whether it had been SSSS-ed, too.

PH