FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DFW CEO makes announcement from UK (DFW-LGW flights moved to LHR)
Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:23 am
krug
Suspended

Originally Posted by Blumie
Because, like the complaints about MIA, the complaints about LHR are wildly overblown. Yes, like MIA, the place sucks in a lot of ways, but, like MIA, it's not the hellhole everyone makes it out to be.

I personally don't mind flying into LHR and typically will do so on paid J tickets since I can use my VIPs to upgrade to F. The ability to fly F for me outweights the (relatively minor, IMHO) inconveniences of LHR. YMMV.
Well, things have been better at LHR, that's for sure.

Some people, especially those less savvy than most FTers, perhaps those who do not "get" the new hand baggage restrictions, and those without FastPass access through the FCC have had considerable delays recently. This is unacceptable.

But BAA is hiring more security people, and they have instituted improved procedures recently (viz the shoes only scanners at LGW whcih work quite well to speed up the lines, though wholly useless at preventing potential terrorists). Plus people get more savvy generally and know what to do to minimise delays in security.

As a resident, I don't use FCC, and having registered for IRIS, using FastTrack and having well marked priority baggage I have *(touch wood) had very good experiences clearing security in the twelve international trips I have taken so far this year, both outbound and inbound. Never more than 10 minute wait, apart from one Friday pm wait of 15 mins until the Fast Track opened.

However, the key point is that this service will commence in March 2008, exactly when the new www.ba.com/terminal5 opens - so to those who so "I won't connect through LHR" really are missing the point - it will be a whole brand new and rather swanky terminal which will mean you aren't really connecting at all, just changing planes from one gate to another, no worse than a domestic connection on AA, and a "Galleries" lounge complex which will apparently rival The Wing.

This is a sea change from what is currently offered, and unfortunately as AA will stay at Terminal 3 this is not an experience AA will be able to offer transatlantically, unless you are transiting onwards to the Iberian Peninsula or the South of France, which will still operate from T3.