FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Senior Senior Travel in the UK
View Single Post
Old Jun 26, 2007, 8:57 am
robyng
In memoriam

I agree that the medical evacuation insurance shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Unfortunately - my father's girlfriend says she will only do a tour. I think that tours are great for some people - but they are IMO a problem for people who travel slowly - for whatever reason. The Tauck people told my father he had to be able to walk 1/2 mile in 15 minutes - and that - if he got tired - he couldn't stay on the bus at any time during tour stops (that's when the drivers take their breaks).

My husband and I are younger - 60ish - and we don't even consider tours because - among other things - my husband has a really bad knee - and needs to rest during our sightseeing (sometimes more - sometimes less). Doesn't bother me. When he wants to rest - I just find a nice store with comfy chairs. He sits - I shop . But that is why I recommended an independent trip with a car/driver when desired for my father Traveling at one's own pace. It's really the easier way to do things.

And I recommended the UK because it is the easiest place for an English-only traveler to do things on his/her own. Plus London is probably - if not the best city in the world - certainly among the top 3. Especally if you like the theater (which my father and his girlfriend do).

But I will let my father argue these things out with his girlfriend. Nothing in it for me to get in the middle. Robyn