FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fleet Updgrade Report: Hard and Soft Product
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:55 am
bschaff1

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Axey
If LH+TG = "many", I'm not sure what "a few" is.

My point was that on the routes UA flies, only LH (who shares revenue with UA) is equally awful in terms of 744 Y entertainment. Most other longhaul carriers UA competes with to asia and europe have PTV's in Y. As for TG, I don't think they currently fly 744's to the US, do they?

UA and LH are at the bottom of the pile.

And no, no PTV on LH's 744 in Y
Add the following carriers to the no PTV in Y on US flights list...
-Asiana's 747s, these are due for a cabin re-fit
-Alitalia's 767s
-US Airways' 767-200s, these will be replaced with A330's
-Some of Air France's 747s
-Some of Delta's 767s, but re-fits are eliminating this
-EVA Air's 747s, these seem to be going to cargo conversions
-KLM's MD-11s and 747s
-Northwest's 747s

However, take into account that United has 30 747s and they will be doing complete overhauls on the cabins of these planes. They adopted PTV technology with their 777s when they were new in 1995 and introduced new 747's after that but neglected to do this. It's pathetic that a fleet with a 15 year old interior will have better in cabin amenities than a fleet re-fitted in 2010 where the main expense in the 15 year old interiors that has plummeted are the actual LCD screens which are less than a quarter of the cost in 1995. By the time United's cabin re-fits are complete they will have one of 5 fleets that fly to the USA internationally with no PTV's in economy.