FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Questions about Montevideo/Punta del Este
Old Jun 22, 2007, 1:01 pm
erik123

A) It's extremely safe.
B) Don't know it - the location will be better than most others if you're there in August.
C) Won't ever freeze (the climate is temperate with low's in the 40's) - so a coat will do. Though be advised that being a summer resort hotels may not have the heating you're used to.
D) English is very limited - finding English newspapers/magazines, etc. will be difficult. People are very friendly and accomodating so even if you don't speak any you'll still be fine.

To be frank - I would strongly advise against going to Punta in August (Uruguayans will even think you're mad) - the place will be completely dead and unles you like to read you'll be exteremely bored - many of the hotels and restaurants will be closed as well. I'm fairly sure your timeshare will be deserted. Sorry - but Uruguay is not a (sub)tropical country and tourism to Punta is (extremely) seasonal.

If you want to have an interesting experience stick to montevideo (which I find has quite a lot to see/do). You could possibly add a trip to a Colonia or a ranch and ride horses with the gauchos (though few might be open). Or spend a day or two in Argentina (an easy ferry ride away) and also very safe if you take regular big city precautions.

In my view it would be a shame to travel all that way and see/do very little of interest except for the sea lions.