FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sewage flows down aisles of trans-Atlantic flight
Old Jun 21, 2007, 3:14 am
pbarnette
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by KosraeTV
I wonder what if anything was found in Shannon?

What are the chances that the toilet backs up twice, on the same plane with the same passengers?
Either they missed it the first time when they gave the all clear, or they are trying to absolve themselves from blame. Read the entire press release from CO, again, especially the following:

"Occasionally, these instructions are overlooked.

CO deeply regrets the serious inconvenience to its customers and is apologizing to them and compensating them for the poor conditions on the flight as well as the diversion and delay."

Nowhere does CO accept responsibility for anything. They deeply regret... Someone else overlooked their instructions... Excuse me if I am not overly enthusiastic about the response.

And, I know this will bring out all those who feel that I bash CO too much, but CO's response is exactly the sort of response that really grinds my gears. I mean, everyone congratulates CO for being better than UA or AA or DL (including in this thread!), but that bar is set ridiculously low. CO had the opportunity to deal with this issue head-on, apologize, and accept responsibility. They chose to blame rubber gloves. Nice to see that we have become so desensitized to notions of responsibility that many want to give CO a free pass. Truman would be proud.

IMHO, good service is really defined by how one responds in situations like this, and CO chose the coward's way out. Vouchers?!? How about a refund? For everyone. When the plane landed. And, I don't think it makes a difference whether there was blue or brown liquid; in the aisles or confined to the toilets - 2 semi-working toilets, no TP, and instructions to watch liquid and food consumption on a TATL flight sounds to me like CO failed to adequately honor the implied contract they entered into when they sold the ticket.