FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Senior Senior Travel in the UK
View Single Post
Old Jun 20, 2007, 6:29 pm
robyng
In memoriam

Thanks for your reply and the information. Biggest problem in terms of medical is medical evacuation insurance. Although my father is very healthy for his age - I think most people should have medical evacuation insurance when abroad. We've seen many cases of friends who have gotten sick - even people in their 30's and 40's - who need to come home quickly for various medical reasons. It's very cheap coverage if you're young - and very expensive if you're old.

Also - my father got in touch with a couple of US tour companies - and their tour reps agreed with me in terms of discouraging him from taking any of their tours abroad (although they thought most north American tours would be fine). He is spry for 89 - but he is 89.

On my part - I told him the only way he should consider going to Europe is going to a big city like London business class (and London was my first choice because it's a great city - and you won't run into any language problems) - and staying in a top end hotel in the city for maybe a week. Seeing some shows - eating at some nice restaurants. Arranging for a car and driver to put together some personalized sightseeing both in the city and perhaps a day trip or two outside the city. So he can walk when he feels like walking - and rest when he feels like resting. Not feel forced to keep up with people 30 and 40 years younger than he is. He is willing to travel this way. But his girlfriend - who has a lot more money than he does - can't bring herself to pay for luxury travel. I don't know what she's saving it for - but this is something they will have to work out themselves .

FWIW - this is the way we did our last trip to the UK - I think our fifth if I remember correctly (we're younger - but my husband has a really bad knee). We went to - among other things - the Chelsea Flower Show - Gordon Ramsay at RHR - and saw Jerry Springer the Opera. It was a fantastic trip. Robyn