FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Iberia Business Plus review MAD-BOS-MAD
View Single Post
Old Jun 19, 2007, 4:04 pm
Txolo

Programs: IB plus Platinum, JK Gold, BAEC Silver, LH Senator, PC Platinum Ambassador
Iberia Business Plus review MAD-BOS-MAD

Hello flyertalkers I´m going to share with you experiences on Iberia Business Plus service during my last flight last month.

I flew last month on Iberia from Madrid to Boston, flight IB6165 is departing 13:25, (as many of Iberia long haul flights departs in a (12:00-14:00 window) check in counters even in Business Class get quite busy at Madrid.

Check-in
There are not specific long haul check-in desks so domestic, European and long haul flights check-in at the same desks (my impression was a poor service as there is not long haul web check-in option or self service kiosks on Iberia and at that time there was only 40% of the business desks open with an average of 10 passengers per desk waiting for check-in.

VIP Lounge
After check-in I headed to Sala VIP Velazquez located on T4S, lounge is over average, quiet and with big windows and natural light that’s really appreciated, at my time nice breakfast buffet (pastries, fruit, coffee, tea and juices), around 11:30 they turn around service to a different sandwich buffet, there are nice alcoholic drinks in three different bar locations over the lounge. I will like to mention the “wine corner”, where you can taste different recognized Spanish wines that change every month and they will be served on board afterwards during your meal service.

Boarding
Boarding Iberia flights from Spain is a mess, there are not boarding throw rows and you just feel like a “sheep”, my flight did not have a second finger for business class passengers.

Seating
Iberia´s new Business Plus seat is good, I is a "lie" flat seat, I was seated in row one and foot rest is going higher that any one row in business plus (I´m not sure if row 6 in A340-300 gets higher as well)

Service on board
Service on board Business Plus is quite different than the “rude” service you receive on Iberia Y service, the new seat is quite comfortable and it allow you to rest during the flight. I received a menu with a 1st course, an option between 3 different 2nd courses and 2 options for a dessert, the wine list was quite good and selection of liquors were improved as well in this new service. (Just let you know that seat movement function is not working when you have extended your tray table). Food was good on daylight services (PLEASE NOTE THAT ON LONGHAUL FLIGHTS DEPARTING FROM MADRID AFTER 11PM ONLY A PASTA DISH WILL BE SERVED, and no one informs you at check-in or even when you buy your ticket that that flight will be served with short list service). IFE system worked ok except for SMS/e-mail function that was unable to send or receive nothing during the whole flight (purser didn’t know if the system was enable on that plane), the second meal just a Club sandwich (same as you can buy on domestic/European routes for 9€ on board). Amenity kit above average for business class service. Cabin crew was happy to answer you any question but they really disappear between services, they have an “auto bar” at the end of the C cabin but it was feed with a couple of cheese portions, no sandwiches, no fruit and after finished cabin crew did not refilled for the whole flight.
Arrival
Boston immigration was quite at the time of arrival, just 5 minute wait at the queue and bags arrive just after cleared immigration.

Flight IB6166 BOS-MAD

Check-in
Iberia’s check-in staff at Boston Logan (Swissport staff dressed with Iberia uniforms trying to cheat passengers) is the most incompetent Iberia staff I saw in ages… As my Business class reservation was on waiting list and my Spanish domestic flight Iberia issue me 2 Business class tickets, one for MAD-BOS-MAD and a Spanish domestic business class ticket, when I arrived to BOS Iberia Business class check-in only one business class check-in was opened at that time, agent took 25 minutes to check-in and print boarding pass for a passenger without luggage, at my turn I arrived with my 2 different PNR, the one for the intercontinental flight and the one for the domestic flight with a connection time in Madrid of 80 min. Agent told me that She was not able to retrieve domestic flight segment as she was not training to do it… When I told her that I will like my bags checked to my final destination she told me that she didn’t know how to do it… When I asked for a supervisor to take care of myself she told me that “supervisor is on Miami for the weekend”, afterwards she told me that she would have a hand-note in a paper book that will try to help her to check me to my final destination, She asked me for the three characters code of my destination airport (yes, check-in agent ask me for the IATA airport code for my final destination) and she attach a paper hand written with a “rubber band” to my luggage, and gave me back a piece of paper hand written as luggage tag receipt without any name just saying “ 2 pieces checked at Boston to XXX on day xx/xx/xxxx” I asked her if this is the normal “procedure” for connecting flights and she told me that it is the only thing that she will do for me as she didn’t receive properly training. She took 30 minutes at check-in to do it… so on Business class check-in queue was getting mad!!! As well she gave me an “invitation for the VIP lounge” and she told me that there is a map inside the invitation that shows how to get the VIP lounge and If I have any problem that I would be able to request assistance from any agent in the airside of the terminal after security check.

VIP Lounge

As soon as I passed security check I took my invitation to VIP Lounge and open it, I had a terrible surprise when the map did not reflect Boston Logan Terminal, and the invitation was heading me to an Admiral’s Lounge… as I’m frequent traveler I realized that the map printed in that invitation was Miami International Airport Map showing the way to Admiral’s Club in Miami (but I was in Boston Logan), trying to find anyone from Iberia in airside was impossible, Logan information desk at airside told me that they didn’t know which lounge Iberia is using for his Business Passengers, they call check-in and got an answer on the phone that the information is on the VIP invitations, information desk agent told over the phone that VIP invitation seems wrong as airport map printed was Miami Int´l airport, Iberia check-in desk agent told her that they didn’t know which lounge were Iberia’s passengers entitled to use. I went through BA terraces lounge (assuming as in JFK, BA will provide lounge access to Iberia Business Class passengers), BA Lounge staff told me that they do not have at Logan airport any contract to get access Iberia business and she really didn’t know if Iberia provide that facility at Logan airport, but as “BA courtesy” she will gave me access to the lounge (after I show her my VIP invitation and she claim how a One world airline would take that care of its premium passengers). At boarding time I asked agent about Business Lounge in Logan and she told me that “I heard that would be entitled to use Northwest lounge facilities, but I’m not sure”

Flight

Flight was ok, only disappoint that Iberia cabin crew take nearly 1:30 hours to start to serve dinner on this short flight. Full dinner service on this flight from Boston.

Arrival

Obviously with baggage check-in problem bags did not arrive on expected flight, when I tried to go to baggage claim office and open a complaint for that they told me that “with that piece of paper we can not do anything for you”, after a big discussion and complaint to handling agent they checked for me and told me that they found two baggage tag numbers attached to my ticket checked in Boston but they did not have any clue about where they are… Bags arrived very late next day and I did not receive any apology from Iberia.

Baggage Department

I receive a call from Customer service from baggage services saying that I’m entitled for 53.60€ total for my personal expenses after they lost my bag flying business plus intercontinental flight, (I told the agent that if he was joking with me, but he told me that he received information as delayed passengers flying in any class will be entitled for 1/21 of 1,000 special rights for each delay day, and that’s what Iberia is going to post me by cheque)

In general Iberia offers a good product in the air, but they cut to much ground services outside the plane, if something is going wrong Iberia staff have a nightmare to help you. Many new staff now is not properly trained to deliver the service that customer pay when fly intercontinental business plus.

Iberia seems that had closed down customer service department as there is no way to contact them either by phone or e-mail, just receive a P.O. box in Madrid (I complained to that P.O. Box 5 or 6 timed during last two years and I did not receive an answer for my complaints).