FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - questions about multi-leg: Cont/IAH->LAX->Sydney
Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:03 am
astrohip

questions about multi-leg: Cont/IAH->LAX->Sydney

Some questions related to tickets, luggage & lounges. In about a week, my wife, daughter & I are flying Continental from Houston to LAX, about five hours layover, then QF12 to Sydney (J class, upstairs). First time on Qantas, first time to Australia. We are meeting our son who has been at the Univ of Sydney this past semester (he tells us he's trying to find a way to stay, he loves it so much there ). Ok, back to questions... The tickets are eTickets, and were booked thru Cont.

1) Can we (should we) book our luggage in Houston all the way to Sydney?

2) I've read that we should recheck-in with Qantas upon arrival in LAX, regardless of whether Cont has "checked us in". Legit? And where does one do this? Will we have access to a lounge that enables check-in? Does recheck-in require going in & out of security in LAX? Does getting from Cont to Qantas require going thru security again?

3) I've been trying to keep up with lounge info thru this forum, but I'm still confused. What terminal will we fly out of (QF12 on a Tues evening), and what lounges will be available to us as J pax? With a five hour layover, this is critical!

On the return (QF11 on a Monday), same questions:

1) Luggage booked thru to Houston, or does customs in LAX affect this?

2) Recheck-in with Cont in LAX? We only have a 2.5 hour layover on the return.

3) Lounges?

BTW, on our return trip, our son & daughter will be in coach (he has a student/group fare that could not be upgraded, and our daughter volunteered to sit with him on the return so he wouldn't be by himself). Any problems going back to visit once or twice? I assume they won't let them come see us? Can we sneak 'em some J-snacks? <jk>

BTW2--while there, we are flying Sydney-Cairns on Qantas. How early do they like you to get to the airport in Australia for domestic flights? Security line delays ever?

Thanks in advance!