FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Addis Ababa, Ethiopia [Master Thread]
Old Jun 10, 2007, 6:35 am
troyintn

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rhetor
I have stayed at the Sheraton Addis maybe 100 nights over the last five years (I was last there about a month ago). As others note, it is surrounded by poverty. The same can be said of any hotel in Addis. I too work in development and health and my employer always makes reservations there when working in Ethiopia (not at my request--they get a good deal). Some of my colleagues are "appalled" at staying in a luxury hotel and show their solidarity with the masses by insisting on staying at a mere two-, three- or four-star hotel. Frankly, I find that reaction a bit precious--ANY hotel you are staying in is fabulously luxurious compared to the conditions of a great many Ethiopians. If you want to "show solidarity" please steer clear of any hotel with A/C, running water, and Meta beer for 30 birr a bottle. It has never been clear to me how a "fehringi" staying in a less-luxurious place benefits anyone.

Another poster mentioned the Ghion--a perfect good (two-star) hotel with a terrific restaurant (they have two--one serving Western food the other serving Ethiopian--the good one is the Ethiopian with the fasting [vegetarian] meal going for about $4).
I agree we use to have a contract rate with the hilton. It is pretty nice, but anything with a USA name is over the top compared to the local economy.