FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Heat is On - another longhaul economy trip in under 60 hours
Old Jun 8, 2007, 10:20 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Bangkok to Sydney (BKK-SYD) on BA 747-400 (mid J config with NNCW and avod)

I'm welcomed back to the lounge and quickly checked in. I have just enough time for a quick shower to freshen up. Unlike the way over the lounge is very empty, although the earlier departure of the Qantas flight has something to do with it (as well as the light load on the BA flight).

I grab a couple of drinks and then it is time for boarding. Boarding is completed quickly for the load is ridiculously low. This time we get the reconfigured layout with club world in between world traveller plus and world traveller. Some of the pax are grumbling to the cabin crew about it as I walk past to my seat. There is no economy mini-cabin, and the first economy cabin has about 25 passengers - yup enough room for a whole row of seats for every passenger! This, I think, is the reason OLCI wasn't working. They did not want people choosing their own seats. Although it would surely not have been too difficult to allow OLCI but disable seat selection?

The boarding process is quick but we sit at the gate with doors shut for a while, due to good tail winds we expect to arrive at Sydney too early for the curfew. Why couldn't they have delayed boarding? It would be more pleasant to spend an extra half hour in the lounge than sitting in a too hot a/c cabin.

Eventually we get underway. Dinner is choice of beef or chicken. I manage to get a couple of water bottles (begrudgingly given) for later. Once meal is finished I settle down with many pillows and blankets in my own bed across 4 seats. This isn't anywhere near as comfortable as a business class seat (one metal piece seems to find its way between the blankets), but nonetheless I get a few hours sleep before awaking to a far too hot cabin. I try but fail to get back to sleep and so check out the avod. It isn't too bad, apart from a much more limited selection than the likes of EK, NZ or SQ.

Before landing breakfast is served, which I pass on since I will be eating a decent meal in the first class lounge in no time.

Despite the long wait on departure and threatened arrival too early for the curfew, we end up arriving later than scheduled.