FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Heat is On - another longhaul economy trip in under 60 hours
Old Jun 7, 2007, 7:25 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Dhaka to Bangkok (DAC-BKK) on TG A300-600

Transit is confusing. Other than the sign in the corridor connecting all the airbridges there is no signage. I made my way to a desk manned by a couple of official looking officers and state that I am in transit, where do I go and how do I get my onward boarding pass?

They ask to see my passport and flick through looking for a Bangladesh visa, which I do not have. My response that I thought I didn't need one is met with silence - which I wasn't totally confident was a good thing. He asked for my itinerary, and had some trouble believing it. He couldn't get into his head why anyone would arrive at Dhaka from Bangkok and want to immediately return to Bangkok. Eventually he wandered off somewhere, leaving me to wonder if (a) I'm in big trouble with immigration, (b) I'm not in trouble but may miss the return flight anyway - what would I do then?, or (c) he's off to check me in landside (there being no facilities for check in airside).

After an anxious 30 minutes I found the answer was indeed (c). Yay. I then went through the overcrowded waiting area and up the stairs (no lift or escalator here) to the Thai lounge upstairs. Yes, even though Thai has only 1 flight a day to Dhaka they have their own lounge. Although the lounge doesn't offer much (some nibbles and drink, 1 computer, and welcome aircon), it is a sanctuary from the heaving masses below.

I hop on the computer to check if my BA flight is running to time. The computer has a very slow connection so I have no time to do anything else before boarding is called. Downstairs to the security at the airbridge. Here again a manual inspection of the carry on, but I am unsure what they are looking for as the check is very cursory and in any case liquids are allowed in Bangladesh (one of the few remaining for international flights).

Back on board it is another fullish flight in business class. We have a delay on departure as it takes a looong time for the last passengers to board - something about congestion at immigration.

With lunch being not so long ago, and tired from lack of sleep I skip the service and doze on the way back, trying not to think about my tight connection which is now very tight. I estimated I would have about 10 minutes to make my way from arrival gate to the departure gate or lounge to beat check in closing (40 minutes before departure). I pysch myself up for a run.

Again a middle seat so not much view of the scenery en route

We lose more time on arrival by flying right past Suvarnabhumi and over the gulf, looping around to land. Now I think - do I have the phone number to call BA to plead to keep check in open a few more minutes for me? Maybe in my bag somewhere but I'll lose valuable minutes searching for it.

Then I get a lucky break. We taxi past concourses C and D, avoid getting a remote stand.