FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Heat is On - another longhaul economy trip in under 60 hours
Old Jun 7, 2007, 7:04 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Bangkok to Dhaka (BKK-DAC) on TG A300-600

When I chose a destination for the side trip I looked at various places I haven't been to before. I needed somewhere that did not require a visa in advance (since insufficient time in between international trips to get it) and preferably not a visa on arrival (since I have such little space in my passport). I needed an e-ticket, for insufficent time for ticket to be mailed to me (and in any event some fares are only available from Thailand).

The schedule needed to fit between flights, preferably with at least a couple of hours to connect in each direction. I wasn't able to achieve this.

So I ended up choosing Dhaka, Bangladesh on Thai.

I headed for a lounge nearby the gate to await boarding time (and incidentally keep an eye out for any signs of delays). Then off to security, where there was a long line for 2 flights - seemed to be most of the passengers. Hmmm not a good sign for departing on time. They were checking every bag by hand, slowly, for liquids, before the xray and WTMD. Both screeners and passengers were slow both in the check and repacking afterwards. As it came to my turn I held up my liquid baggy and was invited to proceed without a hand check of my carry on.

By the time I reach the gate priority boarding has commenced, so I head straight onto the airbridge. Business class is fairly full today, but the cabin is reasonably roomy for a regional product. The seats remind me of Qantas old business class seats (just different fabric I think) in 2-2-2 format.

Before take off I am offered to sit at an empty row of 2 in the back of business class, but since that row has no window I decline. We then get the usual pre-take off drinks, a hot towel, newspapers and magazines. A printed menu is handed out. We take off late, but not so late that I worry about my return tight connection. Being in a middle seat I don't get a good view of the mountains, plains and sea below.

I notice on GCM that we are on almost a straight line from the Sydney to Bangkok path.

There is a moderate turbulence for a while, but unlike the BA flight where the service was suspended and fasten seat belt sign on for about 3 hours without the slightest bump ( ), service continues throughout.

We descend over the sprawl of Dhaka to the airport. During the short taxi to the international terminal I am pleased to see airbridges (for the temperature is close to 40C and humid), and surprised to see several aircraft - it is busier than I expected.

On arrival I say goodbye (for now) to the crew and follow the sign left for transit.