FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Heat is On - another longhaul economy trip in under 60 hours
Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:21 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Sydney to Bangkok (SYD-BKK) on BA 747-400 (low J config)

Refreshed although still rather tired I headed out to the gate a little early (well before any call in the lounge), or so I thought. I wasn't sure how full the flight would be as the seatmap, booking class availability tool and bookings available on BA's website were not consisted. On the day of departure BA was selling SYD-BKK return for around A$1000 incl tax, which indicated not so full, but yet seatmap and availability tool suggested rather full (but not oversold). So I decided to play it safe and head to the gate early so I could be sure of nearby overhead bin space.

When I got to the gate, boarding was already well underway with a long queue at the BP machine and few passengers sitting on the chairs. Again, I was able to saunter past the long line and use the empty premium and elite boarding line.

At the time of booking, and for some months after, the manage my booking seat map was strange with just one row in the forward economy mini-cabin. On the second day before departure it reverted to a more expected 2 1/3 rows (3 rows in the middle and 2 rows on either side), so I took the opportunity to switch to the rear of the mini cabin, selecting an aisle seat where the window was already selected but not the middle, in order to maximise my chances of empty middle seat. Once boarding was completed I was pleased to see it had worked. Indeed the mini-cabin had about 3 or 4 empty seats, vs none in the main cabin behind us.

We had a moderate delay on departure. Apparently there had been some threat made and a few armed police spent over 30 minutes wandering back and forth in the aisles. Not sure what they were looking for, as with all pax seated the views of carryons stowed at feet would be minimal. I guess the threat wasn't specific as we were not asked to deplane, identify bags or anything other than to stay in our seats. Eventually they left and we were allowed to depart somewhat late. I'm not sure the announcement made was that reassuring. Given the presence of the police was noticed by all passengers other than blind freddy, they had to say something. But what do you say?

The seats are cramped, noticeably moreso than on Qantas, and especially compared with Air NZ which I'd flown recently around the world. When the seat in front was reclined I felt forced to recline also. As for getting out easily when the seat in front is reclined - forget it. The fixed aisle armrest means a choice is made between practising for the next limbo contest and pulling on the seat in front to squeeze past. Mindful of how I don't like my seat being pulled on behind, I opted for the flexi approach. But if I'd been sitting in the window seat that may well have been different, especially after a few drinks (limbo is hard enough for me even without the effects on coordination of a few, okay a lot, of drinks).

IFE was loop system with about 18 so-so choices.

First meal was dinner. A choice of beef or chicken (what a surprise ), but the trolley being used on my side of the aircraft seemed to only have beef - I didn't matter what you asked for, beef is what you get. The meal was not very edible, and the wine cheap and nasty, and so I was glad to have had lunch and some drinks in the lounge.

I wanted to sleep during the flight and managed a couple of hours light dozing. Not as much as I hoped.

The bottled water was nice for economy. Shame they only had enough for 1 per passenger.

About 2 hours before landing we get a "light meal" in a bag. A large roll that has next to no filling, just a couple of pieces of lettuce. A salad. A cookie. More drinks.

We landed in the dark (of course) in between thunderstorms sweeping past Suvarnabhumi airport. The taxi on arrival was rather long. There's nothing like a long taxi after a cramped longhaul flight to infuriate - the thought of soon being able to untangle limbs and stretch out is uppermost in the mind, and yet the minutes tick by as slowly make way first towards the terminal and then past other piers to our gate.