FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Slightly OT: Why do Spanish airports use the three-letter airline designator?
Old Jun 5, 2007, 10:07 am
SmilingBoy

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by JUANMA
So why would a person who speaks different languages be working organising inmigration queues at the airport???
I hope that the answer to this is obvious to everyone.

Once in Itami Airport in Japan, the security staff kept pointing at my bag and were telling me something in Japanese and I donīt speak Japanese, I tried four different languages with no success. Well, they let me go and I never knew if there was something wrong with my bag. So those things do not only happen in Spain...
True, and wherever it happend, I do not condone it. But it is rare in most other European countries.

And by the way, why should spanish airports list destinations in English??
Again, I hope that the answer to this is obvious to everyone.

In Rome Airport you always hear announcements for flights to Monaco di Baviera, which is Munich in English, so Spain is not the only country where they use their own language to list cities...
I don't think it is true - I flew FCO-MUC a few months ago and the monitors were showing "Munich" both in English and Italian. Boarding announcement in Italian, English and German.

SmilingBoy.