FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton or Westin in Tysons Corner, VA
View Single Post
Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:54 pm
mecabq

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I would stay at the Westin. I have stayed many times at the Sheraton, at it's wholly medicore. The rooms are old, dark, and uncomfortable, and the restaurant, bar, and the lounge are poor. (There are many threads on this forum about the property.) It's a typical older Sheraton; the main reason I stay there is because it's often, though not always, a bit ($20-$50) cheaper than the peer properties in the area (e.g., Marriott, Hilton), and deservedly so.

I have only stayed at the new Westin once. The rooms are brand-new (just renovated) typical Westin -- elegant and comfortable. They have a restaurant and bar, which I did not visit. I assume that they don't have a lounge -- at least, as a SPG Platinum they didn't give me access to it if they did!

And the location of the Westin is slightly better, especially if you want to take the Metro. Although both hotels have vans that provide local transportation. I believe that parking is free at both hotels.

Also, for awhile they had a grand opening points promotion for the Westin. Not sure if it's still on, but that would be a nice bonus.