FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SkyMiles calculator tool
View Single Post
Old Jun 1, 2007, 3:46 pm
ttjoseph

SkyMiles calculator tool

I wasn't aware of a tool that calculates MQMs and regular miles accumulated on DL and partners, keeping track of elite status along the way, so that I could plan my travel to maximize miles and status without calculating everything by hand. I created such a tool and am making it publicly available in the hope that somebody might find it useful. It is web-based and available at:

http://fly.qux.us/smcalc

You can use it by entering your trips, one per line. Example: "JFK-ATL-CVG-JFK". Here it assumes that you flew on the same fare class the entire way - U by default.

But let's say you flew in full Y for the JFK-ATL segment. So, you'd enter "JFK-Y-ATL-CVG-JFK". It also knows how to deal with flights on other SkyTeam carriers. Let's say you actually flew the CVG-JFK segment on NW in J and ATL-CVG on a DL codeshare on CO metal on a T fare: "JFK-Y-ATL-DLCO.T-CVG-NW.J-JFK". The output from this contrived example, assuming you are an FO:

JFK-ATL: 760 miles on DL in Y. As a Silver, earned 1140 MQM and 1330 redeemable miles.
ATL-CVG: 373 miles on DL on CO metal in T. As a Silver, earned 250 MQM and 625 redeemable miles.
CVG-JFK: 589 miles on NW in J. As a Silver, earned 884 MQM and 1031 redeemable miles.

Miles flown: 1722 this trip, 1722 so far
MQM earned: 2274 this trip, 2274 total so far
Redeemable miles earned: 2524 this trip, 2524 total so far

You can also specify how many MQMs and redeemable miles you started with. Also, if you received bonus miles, say the 500 mile bonus for booking online, just type in the number of miles received, either as part of a trip or on its own line - e.g. "JFK-ATL-JFK 500".

Disclaimer: I'm not Delta. Though I'm not aware of any major problems with the calculations (except as listed on the site), I've only verified that it works properly for my own travel history and plans. If you find an error or omission, I'd really appreciate hearing about it. Enjoy!

Last edited by ttjoseph; Nov 27, 2007 at 12:56 am Reason: New URL for site