FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anyone tried a Partner redemption (eg CX, F) lately?
Old Oct 14, 2002, 5:51 am
jan_peeters

I just confirmed an upgrade from Y to J for flights AMS-HKG-SYD and CNS-HKG-AMS around February 2003.

It was tough to find seat availability, first tried to fly out of LHR, but there were already no more upgrades to J left. From AMS it was a bit easier, but still I was waitlisted on the HKG-SYD leg for about a week, then it finally cleared.

My strategy: Call up AsiaMiles and wheck whether your preferred flights have availability. Only after you have found an itinerary that works for you, call up Qualiflyer and formally request the upgrade.

One more thing: I am amazed by the low knowledge of partner-awards by Qualiflyer agents. Every time I called they had to read the full instructions for booking CX partner awards, putting me on hold for 5+ minutes (I guess this is still better then making a mistake !)

Furthermore, they told me that I end up with 2 bookings on the same flights: one for Y and one in J. I had to call CX and ask them to cancell the Y booking. (my travel agent did not believe this, but after calling CX themselves, it appears to be the correct procedure).

Only thing left to do is go to the Swiss ticket office( can be done on day of departure) and have them put upgrade stickers on the ticket.

Has anyone experienced problems with this ? It basically means you have to stand in line twice, what if the Swiss ticket office is closed ?

Cheers,

Jan