FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Damage to Hotel Room - who pays?
View Single Post
Old May 31, 2007, 11:33 am
chiproos

Programs: AA PLAT 3.8mm, DL gold
Damage to Hotel Room - who pays?

Sorry if this is not the right place to post this but I couldn't figure out any better related areas.....

Last week I took my family for a week in London and we stayed at an absolutely wonderful small boutique hotel. My problem began when my daughter plugged in a US voltage "hair iron" directly to the hotel's UK plug. She saw me plug my laptop in (built in voltage converter) and saw no reason not to do the same with the hair iron.

Needless to say, the hair iron overheated bigtime very quickly and ended up making burn marks in the hotel's cherry wood desk and on the room carpet. I have no problem paying for the damages as it was definitely our fault.

My question is twofold.....first does anyone know if a standard homeowner's insurance policy would pay on this? I called the insurance company and they were very vague stating that I had to first make a claim and then they would research the policy. And second, don't hotels normally carry their own insurance for things like this?

I paid the hotel on the spot but was curious as to whether or not I should have. The hotel was wonderful and the manager was empathetic so I have no gripe with them. Just wondering.

Thanks