FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do One Way Tickets Subject People to Extra Screening?
Old May 27, 2007, 8:29 pm
MikeEMT609

Originally Posted by VideoPaul
There seem to be three schools of thought on this:

1) YES!!
2) Why do you want to know?
3) Do you want to fly today?

I have seen the incidence of the SSSS on a one way ticket becoming less prevalent. While no one will officialy discuss how you are selected, some combination of round trip vs. one way; last minute purchase; method of paymnt and destination seem to all play into it.

Not long after 9/11, a one way fare was a guarantee for additional screening and on most of my experiences, some asinine quesitoning as well (Why are you flying one way? Are you returning to Chicago? Wy didnt you buy a one way ticket? What is the purpose of your travel to ____ today?)

One day I was told to fly immediately from Phoenix to Las Vegas as soon as the job I was working on was done. I walked up to the America Worst counter at PHX and paid with a bunch of $20 bills for a walk up one way fare. I was actually surprised that I was not wisked off to the cones of silence for interrogation.

Just a couple of weeks ago I bought a one way ticket 6 hours before departure and had no SSSS.

--PP
Thanks to everyone that replied to my post, I really appreciate it.
Paul, to answer your qusestions-
---------------------------
1) YES!!
2) Why do you want to know? So I know if it's going to be an added problem to choose one-way travel w/ two airline rather then book round-trip out of BUR.
3) Do you want to fly today?- No planning to fly to NY in September (read my origional post) to visit family. BUR is the closest airport to me, so I'm looking at a direct flight on JetBlue to JFK.
I have something I need to take care of in Ontario when I come home, and JetBlue's only flight to ONT arrives late at night, but Southwest has several flights into ONT that arrive during the day, so...JetBlue to JFK (one-way) and SWA to ONT on the return (also one-way)
Before you ask-Why am I thinking about using JetBlue into NY and SWA coming home...answer is cost, JetBlue is a little cheaper then SWA and offers direct flights, and since I used them last year I would like to use them again.
But coming home it would be more convient to fly into ONT, and JetBlue doesn't have flights that would work for me.

If I find that it's going to cause more problems for me to fly two one-way flights on different airlines I'll simply book a round trip on JetBlue and worry about getting to Ontario after I get home.