FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Going to CUBA June 07 - lots of advice needed..
Old May 23, 2007, 10:08 pm
bhd87

Originally Posted by ttjoseph
I've never been to Cuba either, but I've seen flights to HAV on American carriers (such as, IIRC, AA) listed on the monitors at MIA. Maybe one of those flights is how bhd87 got to Cuba?
IIRC, I flew an AA a/c to HAV, and a CO a/c back. These flights may be operated by AA/CO, but can not be bought there any traditional means. They have no AA/CO flight numbers, etc. For all purposes, they were private charter flights.

To my knowledge, there is no flight from HAV to USA available for any traveller sans private charter flights.

If I was a European tourist and something "bad" happened in Cuba, I would take the first available flight to either Canada or Mexico. I believe there are scheduled flights to both those locations.

P.S. When you mentioned toiletries - I recalled the stories my hairdresser in Miami (from Cuba) told me about bringing "female necessaries" to her family when she went to visit. There are a lot of things we take for granted that simply aren't available in Cuba on a regular basis.
Thats a great idea. I remeber seeing electronics, like simple radios, selling for hundreds of USD. When I visited Cuba, the USD was still the official currency.