FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Change miles award to paid ticket??
View Single Post
Old May 21, 2007, 1:28 pm
jragosta

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Per AA.com "Once award tickets are issued they cannot be transferred"

Therefore, you'd have to pay the fee to redeposit the miles into your account (100 for PLT for Milesaaver Awards- don't know if its different for EXP) and then book a new award ticket for the new pax and buy a new tick for your son.
It's worse than that.

I had a similar situation a year or two ago. I had 'purchased' tickets for myself and family with miles. Then, it turned out that I had to do business at the same time, so I canceled my award ticket and purchased a ticket on the same flights. (or maybe it was the other way - I had bought a ticket and then canceled it to redeem an award ticket - I can't remember the details).

For the next year, I was mysteriously flagged every time I checked in at my home airport and the TA had to call Dallas to get approval to get me on the flight. Every single check in took at least 10 minutes longer than it had to. AA first blamed TSA, but when TSA said it wasn't them, AA finally admitted that I was blacklisted. They accused me of using my Aadvantage miles to manipulate the system to ensure award availability (not sure what they were suggesting because it had never occurred to me.

So I put up with a year's worth of major inconvenience (and a threat to terminate my Aadvantage account) for something similar to what you're planning to try. So I'd suggest you make sure it's OK with AA before you do it.