FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Metairie, New Orleans [Master Thread]
Old May 21, 2007, 8:41 am
Anglo Large Clawed Otter
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Stayed here this past Friday night. Upon check-in, I asked about an upgrade, and was told I had been given a club-level room. When I asked if there were any suites available, I was told "this hotel does not have suites, but we have upgraded you to our highest quality room." I was also given vouchers for continental breakfast in the restaurant.

I have my doubts that the room I was given was of the highest quality in the hotel. The carpeting was stained, the baseboards were scuffed and marked, and the bathroom was tiny, with standard shower-tub combo. By looking at the fire-escape map on the back of the door, I was able to determine that there were significantly larger rooms at the end of the hallways (perhaps Junior Suites). Additionally, the hotel website has photos of rooms which appear much nicer than the club room I was placed in, outfitted with jacuzzi tubs. I can understand if the best rooms are fully booked, but I don't appreciate being misled by hotel staff. I arrived late in the evening, so did not bother to seek a better room, as I was checking out at 7am anyhow (and moving across to the W on Poydras, which has never failed to provide me with excellent rooms and service).

For the price, this hotel is okay, but I don't think I will seek it out again. Far too often in the summer, good deals can be had at either of the Ws. e.g., back when SPG had its "Lowest Prices of the Year" sale (I think in February), I managed to nab rooms at the W on Poydras for $109/night. If this (undoubtedly inferior) hotel is not particularly interested in being forthright with me, I see no reason to send them repeat business.