FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - U-Turn on seating policy!!
View Single Post
Old May 21, 2007, 4:20 am
SchmeckFlyer

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by ozzie
I disagree with most people on this board. If I am booking a last minute full-fare ticket, I think I should have a right to the best seats on the plane.

The main reason for this policy to to encourage people to OLCI which saves BA money.
Why should the entire aircraft have to wait to reserve their own seats just for people who book at the last minute? There are costs, beyond just monetary, to booking at the last minute; a less than favorable seating selection has always been one of them. C'est la vie. Elite members and full-fare passengers are going to get the best seats either way, with either policy.

Permitting non-elites and non-full fare passengers access to certain seats that are not likely to be selected by elites has the added benefit, beyond just providing a perk (although one can hardly describe as such, considering almost every airline allows it), is that it manages expectations. If I cannot select a seat, there will always be the glimmer of hope of receiving a really good seat. If I know I am doomed to a middle seat, at least my expectations will be lower. OLCI might then pleasantly surprise me.

There could also be some sort of "rolling" system where as more and more elites reserve seats, more and more seats become blocked for selection by non-elites. This in addition to blocking all the good seats in advance anyway.